Sunday, March 25, 2007

What I'm Reading

One of the few joys of taking public transportation to and from work every morning is that it affords me approximately one hour every day to read without interruptions. What follows is my Bus Route #10 Required Reading List:

By Patrick O'Brian (from the truly wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series):
The Mauritius Command
Desolation Island
The Fortune of War
The Surgeon's Mate
The Reverse of the Medal
The Letter of Marque
The Thirteen-Gun Salute
The Nutmeg of Consolation
The Truelove

By Elmore Leonard
Fifty-Two Pickup
Bandits
Touch
Freaky Deaky
Killshot
Rum Punch
Pronto
Riding the Rap
When the Women Come Out to Dance

Other Authors:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey (working on this right now)

The list seems pretty long for seven months, but since I'll be settling into the traditional big firm lifestyle next September I figure I might as well clock in the leisure reading time while I still can. I find both O'Brian and Leonard to be compulsively readable, so I have no idea what I'll do once I've finished strip-mining their works. Time to work a new author into the rotation, I suppose.

4 comments:

zabel said...

Leonard then writes westerns, and O'Brian probably writes... early 20th century war novels?

S. said...

Leonard actually started his career writing westerns, but this led him almost naturally into modern crime fiction. O'Brian writes almost exclusively about the British navy during the Napoleonic wars, but his true, highfalutin' subject seems to be the nature of Man.

zabel said...

Okay.
By the way, you capitalized Man there. Is that something a taxonomist would do? :D

S. said...

No, "nature of Man" just sounded more pretentious than "human nature."