Sunday, March 22, 2009

Magic Pockets

A little saga about gloves and Sage.  She had some cheap gloves early in the winter, but was always cold and so I bought her some really nice insulated, fur-edged mittens.  Of course, she quickly lost one and it hasn't showed up on the playground or the lost and found.  At about the same time, she came home one day and said that there were gloves in her coat pockets that weren't hers.  They weren't new, and were the dollar-store stretch-type gloves that I tend to keep around as "extra" or "emergency" gloves, so I didn't worry too much about it.  They happened to be the exact same blue color as her coat, and so she kept using them.  Maybe I should have been more honest, but they WERE in her pockets, and so there you have it.  I figured it was an odd coincidence.  

But then...yesterday in the car, Sage called out, "Mom!  My pockets are magic!"  I thought she was going to tell me some fanciful joke or story, but instead, she pulled out yet another pair of gloves.  They were still used but a little nicer this time, fleece instead of stretch, and even more perfectly coordinating with her coat.  The previous blue pair was gone.  She has no idea how they got there -- her coat is in her locker during most of the day, though being a first-grader the lockers aren't locked or anything.  This can't be a coincidence.


That same day when we woke up, there were plastic forks stuck in our front lawn.


Is there some strange fairy interested in us?  Can I have magic pockets that provide suckers for my girls after a long shopping trip?  

What would you want in your magic pockets?

3 comments:

Diagnose Rachel said...

hahaha, you got forked! can't blame me, I haven't flown or driven past Denver in over 10 years.
oh
wow
10
years.
That's sad, really sad.

but you got FORKED!!! boy, i wish someone love us that much!
I love the glove story. I feel like I could be telling it about my Emily (#2, our Sage) It hasn't happened quite like that for us. But our daugher does LOVE getting her pants wet so she can pick more pretty pants from the school nurses office to change into. I even sent a pack of spare clothes just for her, but she wants the nurses closet!!!!

Unknown said...

Kristin, do you have any recollection of our helping the woman in Portugal who had a 9-yr-old, 2-yr-old, was expecting her third and was homeless? Steve and Alex both remember something about it...After Steve and I helped her clean out that abandoned building and get it set up for her to live in temporarily, I went to see someone in the branch who lived in Areia and also knew about this woman (since she'd visited church). I left her 4000 escudos--money we didn't have 'cause Dad was already back in the states and no longer on the higher salary--to give to the woman as needed when the baby came, until it was gone. While we could not afford giving about $400 away right then, it just seemed the right thing to do in the circumstances. Next week someone from F. Electronica Portuguesa (Mr. Thomas) called me and said "I don't know what it's for, but there's a check here for you guys for $400. Do you want me to mail it to you here?" No one at Ford ever figured out exactly why that check was written--Dad had no expenses to submit, and as far as we could tell we weren't owed anything. But I know where it came from...

We've had other "magic checks" but in smaller amounts, and so I do think there are, occasionally, "magic pockets" and such. That's cool....

Ian said...

In magic pockets? Automatic intelligence trigger!