Thursday, August 13, 2009

Going (Mid)west


S. and I have been thinking a lot about travel, pining after places that we haven't seen in years and hankering after places we've only heard of.  For example, we haven't seen Yellowstone since we were newlyweds, and our kids have never seen it; we have some great memories of southern Utah's landscapes, but it's been 9 years since we've been there; and we'd love to see New Mexico's crystal caves, White Sands, and famous hot air balloon festival.  I could go on and on, because we've never even done the Church history sites at this end of the country, nor have our kids seen NYC, New England, the Outer Banks, etc.

S. recently brought home a book from the library, 1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die, and we've been drooling over it.  I feel pleased that I've seen 23 of the 1001, but nearly all of them were before I was married and there are so many more.  The book has also reminded me that I want our kids to be hikers, so that they can really get off the beaten path and make some of the kinds of memories that I cherish from my youth.  Maybe we don't need to follow the crowd and take our kids to Disneyworld, we need to camp at the beach and show them the Perseids or take them canoing in Algonquin, Ontario.  (Thanks, Mom, for both of those experiences, I'll never forget them.)

In the meantime, however, we took our almost-yearly trek to my hometown of Detroit, and for the first time stopped in Hershey and spent a day at the amusement park.  We pass it every year, but with a 10-hour drive to Michigan, we've never been able to fit it in.  This time, we got a motel and the kids got to experience their first roller coasters.


Sage was tall enough to ride much, much more than she had any desire to, and none of us went on the real thrillers, but there was so much there that everyone had a blast.  



Unfortunately, we left the sunscreen in the car and ended up very badly burned and peeling for a week.


Arriving in Michigan was more predictable and familiar, but that has its merits too.  It's really nice for me to be back there regularly, to feel the pull of my roots and remember what I love about home.  (Someday we'll have to take S. back to Oregon, because I know he's feeling the distance too, now that his parents have moved.)

The kids were able to spend plenty of time with their one cousin in Michigan, getting to know each other better while learning how to bowl, swimming at Belle Isle, and finding sticks and critters and mud out in Detroit's wonderful Metroparks.

It's a marvelous world we live in, I hope we get to see more of it.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! I've been to Hershey Park....once....when I was little. :) We've been talking about going there. Great post!

EJNielsen said...

Eric and I are feeling the same way, want to travel and see things and let our kids experience life outside. However they are still young but doesn't it count even if they can't remember it? :) And if you guys want to camp on the beach just keep coming west- there's a perfect spot 10 min walk from our house waiting for you!

Tasha said...

A very worthy goal to visit the places off the beaten path! Although lately I've been doing the big trips and hitting some spots that are really very tourist oriented, I'm almost always most happy when I get to see the things that aren't so touristy. Especially if it's in the middle of mother nature. Right now some of my two favorite memories are sitting on lawns at Longwood Gardens and Thanksgiving Point and just reading a book.

eNJay & B said...

i agree. there's so much to see!

Amy said...

Cute haircut K!