Monday, January 19, 2009

"Love is What You Go Through Together" (His and Hers, Part Two)



Where does the time go?  I thought I'd get an early start on a post about hitting our ten-year anniversary milestone, and liked the idea of breaking our marriage down into its raw data, but somehow I could never muster the energy to tally all the numbers and make all those charts.  That was over two months ago.  With our anniversary deadline making a nifty whooshing sound as it passed by, I finally reached a point where I had to finish this post in order to address the rest of our blog backlog (Christmas, etc.).  Now that I look at the finished graphs, however, I'm glad that I finally took the time to compile them--they make it easier to believe that the past ten years really happened and that K. and I really shared them.  Now, the next time one of us stops and wonders what happened to the prime of our lives, we can look at these charts and remember that we hit the ground running.  

K and I were talking marriage about a week after becoming an item, and got engaged about a month after that.  Fortunately, we both agreed that we wanted to be young parents and took it on faith that we'd find a way to start a family before getting settled materially.  Now, when I think about the depth of my feeling for this family, I realize that the most meaningful part of my life--the part when I began to feel most fully myself--began with that early leap of faith.  Happy anniversary, sweetheart.  I'll say this much about us--we don't waste time.





7 comments:

Karrot Soup said...

Sometimes I also mentally break it down into dishwasher/no dishwasher... grateful to be solidly in the dishwasher zone now...
(And it's 68 with, 52 without)

Tiffany said...

I loved this post! So much in marriage and family life cannot be quantified, but you found a great way to numerically reflect all those lovely intangibles. I have to say that, although I could do without some of the PDA, it was so heartwarming to see you two together and witness the strength and affection of your marriage. The world needs more marriages like yours. Here's to another seven decades together (or less, if you both prefer)!

S. said...

I don't remember any PDA. You must be thinking of Bryce and the Wii.

Joe and Christie said...

This is great.


P.S. Another witness to the PDA...though I commend you both for keeping the flame a' burnin' :)

Amy said...

I can't imagine going 52 weeks without a dishwasher. You're like a pioneer woman! Great idea with the charts, S!

Hehe, it's been so long since college that I thought you were all talking about your personal handheld devices. I get it now :)

Kristin said...

Hey guys. I just found your blog. I know Kristin has told me about it before, but I could never remember what it was. Yay! I managed to find it! :) I love it! Great job!

Bryce said...

What an awesome post! Ditto on what Tiff said: way to clearly convey intangibles! I definitely played much Wii, but I'm sure you two publicly displayed plenty of affection. Personally, I applaud you two, and don't have a problem with it - when I finally get married, I am going to have few qualms of PDA-ing (now you've all been warned).